Bogwangsa Temple was built by a man named Kanag Dae-hee in 1934. At that time, the temple only had a residence hall for the monks. Then, Bomunjeon Hall was built in 1949, Samseonggak Hall in 1961 and Dongbyeongdang Hall was built in 1978.
The temple was originally named Namsansa but in was renamed to Bogwangsa in 1961. Currently there are two Budos (Buddha-stupa: The sarira-stupa, or the stone monument where sariras of great masters are enshrined) at the entrance of the temple and these were moved in 1949 from the Beopheungsa Temple site which is about 1km northeast from here.